Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Where to Begin?

Wow. I'm really intimidated by this Cannonball Read challenge. 52 books seems like a lot. Narrowing down to a list of 52 books seems just as harrowing.

In order to make my task lighter, I thought I'd come up with some rules to help me craft my reading list for #CBR4.

  1. I'll select my list from some of the various lists of greatest novels found around the Internet. I'll try to limit these lists to some of the most respectable-seeming. That probably means I'll favor lists presented by a select few educated persons over a "vote for your favorite"-style list.
  2. No re-reads. If I've read a book already, it doesn't make the list.
  3. On a related note, if I've seen the movie already, I can't include the book on the list. I may make exceptions here, though. For instance, I've seen Blade Runner, but I might still read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep because the link between the two is by all reports shaky.
  4. On the other hand, I might consider doing a joint book/movie review if I've neither seen nor read either work.
  5. CBR has a 100-page minimum for selections to count. I may need to add a maximum limit, too, if I'm going to get through all 52 books in a timely fashion. An 1000+ pager could throw my whole schedule into chaos.
  6. ??? I don't know. Do I need more? Maybe this covers it.

Now. To the list!

No comments: